Leases and Tenancies

This area of law can conveniently be divided into residential and commercial leases and tenancies.

Residential – Here we can act for you as a landlord or as a tenant in the granting of a new lease of a house, maisonette or flat and we will look into the whole question of the premium to be paid for the lease, the ground rent payable on a continuing basis (if any) and the service charge which may be payable by a tenant to a landlord – usually where there is more than one unit in a building or block and the landlord has to carry out works to the main structure for which the tenants have to contribute.  We also can help when these leasehold interests are sold or purchased.

Commercial – As this indicates, this usually refers to shops and other industrial premises but can also refer to pubs and other licensed premises as well as sports clubs.  Nick Robinson is the partner in charge here.  We have a standard form of commercial lease which we use for landlords and by having this it does mean that we can keep costs down by not having to start from scratch with a new lease.  We are familiar with protocols used in the industry and can help you with preparation of the Commercial Property Standard Enquires forms which are forms that have to be filled in by clients wanting to sell leasehold premises or grant new leases of commercial units. We can help where a Licence to Asign is required either because you are giving the licence as a landlord or because you need one as a tenant or potential tenant.